Thursday 29 December 2016

What I've Been Reading Recently

Here's a round up of the books I've read since last time. Knock yourselves out.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence
A Place I've Never Been by David Leavitt
The Long Cosmos by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
The Hard Road to Renewal by Stuart Hall
In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan La Fanu
Dubliners by James Joyce
How the Light Gets In by MJ Hyland
Individualism and Inequality by Ralph Fevre
The Candidate by Alex Nunns
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
The Reordering of British Politics by Dennis Kavanagh
A Widow for One Year by John Irving
Thatcher and Thatcherism by Eric J Evans
Understanding Liberal Democracy by Barry Holden
American Tabloid by James Ellroy
Corbyn: The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics by Richard Seymour
All Families are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Postcapitalism by Paul Mason
LA Confidential by James Ellroy
The Fahrenheit Twins by Michel Faber
Max Weber and the Idea of Economic Sociology by Richard Swedberg
Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan
The Politics of the Body by Alison Phipps

Santa has brought be a couple of festive treats, namely Multitude and Commonwealth - the follow ups to Hardt and Negri's seminal Empire. Perhaps I'll get round to writing about them in time.

What have you been reading recently, and were any nice books left under the Christmas tree?

2 comments:

asquith said...

I've been appreciating Graham Greene, I understand the criticisms Orwell and others made of him but as an ex-Catholic myself I feel he really understood life, in some ways better than his critics.

This too, obviously, legally mandated reading:
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/books/england-s-cathedrals-by-simon-jenkins-review-a3405216.html

I found myself in Leicester on Christmas Eve, full of people from all communities, I'm sure many of them weren't Christians at all but you can see what the place was there for.

Anonymous said...

The Time Traveler's Almanac (2079 edition), Ann & Jeff Vandermeer,Eds.