
1. The Desperation of Nigel Farage
2. From Brexit to Frexit?
3. Andy Burnham in Downing Street
4. The Political Uses of Ann Widdecombe
5. The No-Hopers Vs Andy Burnham
The difficulties Reform are experiencing came out top of the pops. And as July progressed, the situation got worse. More allegations of law breaking, and a completely cack-handed coping strategy for dealing with them. It's too early to say whether Reform are a busted flush, but they're starting to look that way. And once these investigations reach their conclusions Nigel Farage is going to have a very serious problem. Something plenty reading this will look forward to watching. Also doing well was Andy Burnham - on the occasion of his entry into Number 10, and on the grumbles and complaints about him in the PLP about their new leader. It's cry me a river time for the bellyachers, I'm sorry to say. And wedged between these two are the political uses made of the grim murder of Ann Widdecombe. Yes, there's the obvious victimology Reform have tried narrating and capitalising on. But this piece looks at how her death has been used to buttress the illusio, the oft-unthought ideological assumptions underpinning establishment politics.
The dearth of posting about otherwise significant political events is a consequence, I'm sorry to say, of burn out and a lack of energy to spend most evenings churning out the goodies like I used to. I'm happily reading plenty of interesting things and probably following more political coverage than previously, so the old brain is ticking over. I'm also finding it difficult to articulate how, despite my posts being otherwise down on Burnham, I think there are useful and progressive openings despite the strong continuity in his government. Perhaps in August I might find the words to flesh that out.
Image Credit
No comments:
Post a Comment