Wednesday 17 July 2013

New Job


It's been a long time coming, but finally, three years after getting my PhD an esteemed higher education institution (pictured) has given me a job! I am quite chuffed to be able to live up to the name - professionally speaking - of this blog once again. So over the coming months don't be too surprised if a few changes of emphasis crop up here and there. Perhaps, just perhaps, a bit more trouble-making and a little less soft-soaping might creep in too. But who knows what the future holds? The long commute every day might be enough to see dear old Bernstein get the promised blogging treatment - though I can't confirm if that will occur before or after the PhD thesis appears in book form. There could even be fewer music videos too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conform?

Phil said...

?

If you think my new job is conformist, wait 'til I write about my current occupation.

Mark Walmsley said...

Congratulations Phil. What are you doing?

Evan said...

Congrats Phil. Are you able to tell us what the job is?

Phil said...

Hurrah! It took me four and a half years to get my first permanent post, although I was actually employed in academia for five and a quarter years of that time - not employed employed though, by and large. Hope you get some time for writing!

jimboo said...

Never did get a job relating to my degree, one of the drawbacks of not starting to study until my late forties. The closest was an offer of part time work, 3 hours a week paid, plus 3 hours unpaid. Too much hassle.

Phil said...

I'll be working at the University of Derby as a proper, full-time and permanent lecturer. So expect a few posts over the next year talking up the virtues and wonderments of the department and the research that takes place there :)

But like you Phil, it has taken a long time. I decided I wanted to become a lecturer when I was 20 and have been working towards it ever since. I've had temporary teaching gigs here and there but this is my first "proper" job.

And yes Evan, hopefully the PhD will finally see the light of day in book form! As well as a few other things too.