Tuesday 1 January 2013

Top 100 Independent Tweeting Bloggers

By popular demand, the top 100 independent tweeting political bloggers for 2012.

81. The Third Estate (2,735 followers)
98. Open Unionism (1,671 followers)
100. Ceasefire (1,580 followers)

The same caveats apply as last time. And it is, of course, ordered by Twitter following. Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

This post defines as 'independent' bloggers whose primary blogging outlet is either a site of their own, or a group blog not attached to a mainstream media platform, think tank or trade union. It's basically the last list without the journos and columnist-bloggers.

I did toy with the idea of leaving out the big political blogs semi-attached to the main parties (ConHome, LabourList, LibDem Voice); and Guido as he and his team are 'professional' bloggers. But in the end it was right to include them. The three party sites are outlets for a lot of "normal" bloggers who don't get paid for their efforts. And Guido's rose up organically from the mess and froth of political blogging. If he ever gets bought out by another media organisation, that designation will change.

One last point, this is very much a *provisional* list. I know some of the follower totals might be slightly off, but there are only so many hours in the day. And it's also likely a lot of people have been missed off, particularly on the right, among LibDems and Greens, and bloggers from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you are or you know someone who's missing, drop a comment below. It will be updated in the near future to iron out any inaccuracies.

Updated 5pm, 02/01/13.

13 comments:

Open Unionism said...

Hi, Open Unionism, which is a group blog promoting the Union, twitter feed presently has 1,668 followers.

https://twitter.com/OpenUnionism

Phil said...

Cheers - yours will be included in the new update.

James said...

Hi Phil, you've got my blog-partner Jeff Breslin but not me. I feel like an egomaniac for caring, but..
https://twitter.com/mrjamesmack

Anthony from the Democratic Society said...

Not sure whether we count, as an organisation, but we have 5,157 followers as of just now.

Louise Ankers said...

Hi, I'm a Lib Dem blogging at jiltedgeneration.blogspot.com

My blog is about politics, emotions in politics and the disconnect between voters and politicians.

My twitter is @bubbalou and I have 1902 followers. I think I should be in your top 100 in that case.

Tara Hewitt said...

Hi as of now i have 1787 followers @Tara_Hewitt my blog is www.blueblairite.blogspot.com hope you can include me next time x

Walaa Idris said...

Thank you for including me on your Top 100 list - I feel very honored

Phil said...

Hi Anthony, I think the blog for DemSoc falls into the think tank category I'm afraid!

Justin said...

Define "independent".

Phil said...

Read ze post.

HarpyMarx said...

Oi, Phil B-C ...

I may have gone quiet on the old blogging front but I haz Twitter followers of an amazing 1,874 followers.... Does that qualify me for the Top 100?

Happy New Year Comrade!!

Phil said...

You were "retired" when I compiled it!

Of course, I'm happy to update :)

HarpyMarx said...

Retired....? Indeed I do feel I have aged recently...

Thanks comrade :))))