Sunday 4 November 2012

New Blogs

In my 18 month or so-long sabbatical from regular posting, many writers who once shone brightly in the blogging firmament have faded away or pulled into the orbits of big collective blogs. Precious few 'independents' now shine in their place. Thing is because I've been hiding in the warm, cuddly cave Stoke Labour made available to me, I don't know a great deal about "the scene" as it currently stands.

When AVPS was a Y-list'er as opposed to its present Z-list status, a feature here did provide a new blog a small audience and Wikio/ebuzzing boost. Now? I suppose repeating the exercise will serve to reacquaint me with the terrain as currently constituted.

Therefore please find below a clutch of new blogs (i.e. founded in the last 18 months) that may warrant your attentions. 

1. Black Triangle Campaign (Unaligned/Disability Rights) (Twitter)
2. Cllr Kyle Robinson (Labour) (Twitter)
3. Cllr Stephen Connelly's Blog (Labour)
4. Freelance Lefty (Ireland - Unaligned) (Twitter)
5. Pat's Handmaid (Unaligned/LGBT)
6. Richard Hall's Space (Unaligned) (Twitter)
7. Shifting Grounds (Labour) (Twitter)
8. Skwalker1964 (Labour) (Twitter)
9. Sráid Marx (Ireland - Unaligned)
10. Staffordshire Young Labour (Labour) (Twitter)
11. The Daily Dreadnaught (Communist Party of Britain/Morning Star)
12. The Tasneem Project (Unaligned/anarchist) (Twitter)
13. Think Left (Labour) (Twitter)

That's your lot for October/November 2012. If you know of new(ish) lefty/Labour/union/feminist/Trot/Green/Movementy/LGBT/anarchist/other blogs that might like a place in the shout out, drop me a line via email, the comments box, or Twitter. The new blog round-up is posted on the first Sunday of every month.

9 comments:

Redpants said...

You should add Pinocchio and jackanory to that list.

Jim Jepps said...

The Daily Dreadnought is one of my favourite blogs and the author - John Millington - is a very sound guy in my opinion.

However, I don't think it's accurate to describe him as unaligned. As a supporter of the CPB and journalist on the Morning Star for years he is an enthusiast for supporting Labour from that perspective.

He is nicely open minded and understands that journalism requires a certain political detatchment so isn't tribal when he's writing, which is one of the reasons he's so worth reading and/or subscribing to - but he's not unaligned.

ps nice to see you back Phil.

Phil said...

Cheers, Jim. I'll update it to reflect your info.

Come to think of it ... how long has your new site been going?

Jim Jepps said...

No worries.

Which one? I just started writing a few blog posts at jimjepps.net about the same time you started up again.

Now I really *am* unaffiliated!

ps you couldn't turn captcha off could you? Having comment moderation on as well it's kind of belt and braces - and your captcha is really hard to get right! I had to try four times to get my comment through last time :)

Phil said...

You can never be too safe! I didn't realise the captcha was on - I think it comes as standard.

Anyway, JimJepps.net is scheduled for an appearance in next month's list!

Steve said...

Thanks for including me in your list! Just for the record, I am a member of the Labour and Co-operative parties, so I guess you couldn't call me unaligned either.

Evan said...

Hi Phil, glad you're blogging again. I guess I will nominate my blog, Hatful of History.

Cheers Evan

Unknown said...

Could you explain what those y-list and z-list that you mentioned in the post are? I know this is off topic but still.

Phil said...

Hi Ivan, it's a self-deprecating figure of speech.

You have your A-list, B-list, and Z-list celebrities. The same pertains to bloggers.

So, previously, when I blogged up until February 2011 and hasd a much bigger audience, this blog was Y-list. Since then, it faded into obscurity and has now come back with a much smaller audience, hence 'Z-list'.