The dispute at the Morning Star is getting increasingly unseemly. The NUJ chapel have threatened a strike ballot over wages, claiming the paper's management has reneged on promises made in previous years. What sticks in its craw is the £500 grand that is likely to be invested in the 'Star. It seems the money is to be ring-fenced to improve content, hire more staff, and increase circulation. None of it will be set aside to raise journalist salaries, which needless to say, is well below the industry standard.
The consortium behind the £500,000 is anonymous, but it doesn't take a seasoned left-watcher to realise the bulk of the monies will be coming from Anita Halpin, the NUJ and CPB stalwart. Readers will recall that sister Halpin was in receipt of £20.5 million after auctioning a painting her family were forced to give up by the Nazis. CPB comrades and 'Star supporters have had to wait until now before seeing a slice of her fortune (though the CPB did get a nine grand crumb last year).
Some comrades have been on their high horses, arguing that if she was any sort of communist she would make the monies available to the party she is a leading member of. This got me thinking. If any of us stumbled on £20 million cash in the attic, what would we do? Then I thought this might be a nice idea for a meme. So, what would you do if you came into a similarly-sized lump of dosh? I would
1) Make sure the Socialist Party and CWI get a hefty sum, no strings attached (well, maybe with the proviso that Stoke gets a full-timer :P).
2) Give my family a nice slice too.
3) Finish my PhD, but would probably pursue a career as an activist and blogger. Or maybe a bookshop owner - I've always fancied the idea of opening a radical bookshop in the centre of Hanley.
4) Draft in a professional web designer to make this blog really sparkle.
5) Set up a fund that would help finance strikes and other progressive causes.
6) Put aside a bit of cash to help cover Morning Star journalists' wage demands.
7) Buy a new house, new wardrobe, more bookcases, get a car - nothing too bourgeois!
Is this the correct way for a socialist to behave, or do my millionaire aspirations verge on betraying the class? What would you as a principled class fighter do? Let's hear it from Madam Miaow, Jim Jay, Harpy Marx, Through the Scary Door, Splinty and The Nation of Duncan.
If you do have bourgeois hankerings you want to get off your chest, take advantage of anonymity and let them run free in the comments box.