Wednesday 6 December 2023

hbomberguy on Plagiarism

To my knowledge, I've been plagiarised twice. Once was during teaching 20-odd years ago. I gave a student written feedback on their cultural studies essay and laster found nearly all of it had been lifted and placed in their text. The second was a bit more recent. According to a confidant of said plagiarist, when they went for their big politics reporting job - the one that has established them as a fixture in mainstream analysis and comment - they impressed their interviewers with detailed knowledge of a then big news story. Detail they had incorporated into their presentation without attributing the source. I.e. Me.

Plagiarism is bad. But it is rife. Not only in politics, but especially so online and in the world of YouTube content creation. In this video, good egg hbomberguy has provided a four hour take down of noted plagiarists on the platform. It's long, entertaining, and sadly necessary.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ended up watching this in one sitting, and man a live. It was an eye opener. And I've got questions about hyperrealism now...
It definitely feels like in some cases (not necessarily the ones Hbomber destroyed) that people just don't understand copyright laws and how they apply to other videos and media... That or I'm being to kind haha

mark carrigan said...

Journalists plagiarising academic bloggers is such a thing. I've heard lots of stories of it.

Blissex said...

«Journalists plagiarising academic bloggers»

Many journalists, academics, experts seems to me to "get inspiration" (let's not use "plagiarize") from the internet for ideas or copy. It's "publish or perish" for all of them.

Which makes it easy to "influence" public discourse... The most blatant is of course media repeating wholesale and verbatim corporate PR releases, but in some sectors corporate PR departments hire ghostwriters to gift drafts to academics and experts, but I guess that several security services have on retainer their own ghostwriters to gift copy to journalists, academics, experts.

I guess that those who don't get caught get a significant career boost over competitors.

Graham said...

Wonderful.
I don't actually believe I just watched 4hrs of a YouTube video.
Despite having no interest in film theory or critiism,I found it both informative and highly entertaining.
The problem of plagiarism on the internet affects all content and the ways to detect this shown in the video are important tools.
Watch it - but probabably not in one session.